|home — about caddo forward — newsletter signup — f.a.q. — contact|
Monument Sits on Land Owned by Parish
Confirmation by Parish Attorneys
Though it is widely believed that the Caddo Parish Commission donated the land where the Confederate Monument sits outside the Parish Courthouse to the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1903, that perception is mistaken. The records of the Caddo Parish Tax Assessor’s Office reflect that the Parish of Caddo is in full ownership of the entire block which encompasses the location of the Confederate Monument at the courthouse square. Former parish attorney Dannye Malone and current parish attorney Charles Grubb have confirmed these findings.
The Confederate Monument and the Confederate Third National Flag sit outside the Caddo Parish Courthouse.
An Independent Review
In 2002, the Caddo Parish Commission requested that the Parish Attorney provide an opinion as to the ownership of the land where the monument sits. The Parish Attorney commissioned a thorough and independent review of the public records of the Caddo Parish Police Jury and/or the Caddo Parish Commission; the mortgage and conveyance records of the Caddo Parish Clerk of Court and/or Caddo Parish Tax Assessor’s Office; consultations with Mr. Eric J. Brock, Social and Architectural Historian; and United Title of Louisiana, Inc. The findings of this review were outlined in a letter from Mr. Malone to the Commission dated March 28, 2002, which included:
According to the following sources: